UBC is building a vibrant community by providing campus housing options to students, faculty, staff and residents, and by developing recreation facilities, community centres, parks, open spaces, and child care within our neighbourhoods and academic spaces. We are committed to increasing housing choice and growing campus amenities, driven by UBC’s vision to be a world-class community of scholars with beautiful, functional, and sustainable campuses.
IMPROVING HOUSING AVAILABILITY & AFFORDABILITY
- Completed Ponderosa Commons Phase 2, adding 513 student beds, retail services, student facilities and academic space; continued to work towards increasing the number of child care spaces on both academic and neighbourhood lands.
- Connected the first Wesbrook Place residential buildings to UBC’s new Neighbourhood District Energy System (NDES). The NDES system is designed to capture waste heat from the TRIUMF research facility to provide heat and domestic hot water.
- Started development of the innovative Brock Commons. This 18-storey student housing project – known as the ‘tall wood building’ – will house 408 upper year and graduate students. The building is comprised of 17 storeys of mass wood construction above one storey of base concrete and is expected to be completed in September 2017 (see page 16).
- Started development of ‘Central’ along University Boulevard. This mixed-use rental project will be the first housing in the heart of campus for people who work or study at UBC. At completion in mid-2017 it will include 98 rental units and ground floor retail services.
- Continued construction on the new Aquatic Centre, scheduled for completion in November 2016.